What is that one thing that gets you upset when it comes to online matters? This question reminds me of my staff mate. One day I heard him clicking repeatedly but he never wanted to let me know the reason, only to learn later that he was struggling to deal with a connection timeout issue but needed to download something urgent he needed. Can you identify with his feelings? Honestly, it can be so embarrassing when you are prevented from doing something online for whatever reason. But have you ever come across something like Connection Timeout on Google Chrome? How did you address this problem? I think this can be more embarrassing because the problem is related to the browser.
Generally, there are so many reasons why you may experience that problem. For instance, you could be using an outdated chrome. But if your browser is updated, the problem could be emanating from a corrupted file, failure of the DNS to respond, connection blockage mainly from the hosts’ file or a poor proxy configuration among others. But what does this error mean? Can it be fixed? Well, in our discussion today, we are going to look at it in details. We intend to respond to a question raised by one of our friends here – how do I change my connection timeout on Google chrome? So let us begin.
First and foremost, it is important to know what this problem means. We have seen why it happens. But then what does it mean? A connection timed out error on Google chrome simply means you now have a limited internet connection. In other words, the server is taking longer than expected to respond. For this reason, you will not be able to use chrome for any search until the problem is fully addressed. Find comfort in knowing the problem can be fixed. Since this is absolutely a network issue, the problem has to do with your PC. This problem can possibly affect users who are logged in through Microsoft account.
How to Fix the Problem
In this section, we are going to discuss a number of methods that effectively solves this problem. Follow along and see the one you can easily use. We begin…
- Clear data. Chrome often save the browsing data which may include cookies, application data, and cache files among others. This leads to the connection timed out the problem. Deleting all the browsing data can solve this problem. But how can you do that? Well, use the following steps:
- a) Look at the top right of the browser and click the more options button, then choose settings.
- b) Move downwards and click the advanced settings option
- c) Select the “beginning of time” and tick all the items including browsing history, passwords, cookies, and download history. Once you have selected all these items, down on your right you will see the option “clear browsing data”. Proceed and clear the data.
If you follow this process, you will fix the problem. However, this approach only works if the cause of the problem was data saving by the browser. As we mentioned at the outset, there are different factors that lead to this error. Look at the following option.
- Update your network adapter driver. There is a possibility of facing the connection timeout error if you are using an inappropriate network adapter driver. Still, the problem can occur if the adapter is outdated. So then, if this is the cause of the problem, you only have to update it. Nevertheless, not everyone has all the necessary skills to do this. You may also lack the patience and time it takes to manually update it. If this is your condition, there is still help. Drive Easy will help you automatically update it. It will analyze your entire system and get the perfect drivers. It is not a must you get acquainted with the system the PC runs, neither should you be worried by the kind of the driver to be downloaded. Do not even worry about the chances of making a mistake while installing. Use Driver Easy. There are a premium and free version. Simply download and install one. Use the following steps:
- a) Download and install the app
- b) Launch it and tap the “scan now” option. It scans your PC and identifies the problematic drivers.
- c) Select the option “Update All” and the app will download and install all the right versions of the drivers automatically.
What if you find this option hard? Well, go to option 3 below and see if it can easily work for you.
- Examine the host’s file. There could be an IP address or a website URL that deters hosts file. This cause blockage in other websites also. That is why it is necessary to look at the Windows Hosts File.
- Change LAN settings. It is possible for viruses to adjust your PC settings. If this is the case, you only have to change it back. To do that, use the following steps:
- a) Go to the control panel and open the internet options choosing “Large icon” at the top right.
- b) In the Connections pane, open LAN settings.
- c) Deselect each item and press ok option at the bottom.
Indisputably, this is the three easiest way of fixing the issue. What it is not caused by the viruses? Let us look at the final option.
- Flush the DNS and get another IP address. The connection timeout error might also be caused by DNS and IP related issues. Flushing the DNS and getting a new IP address can solve this problem. What if the VPN app is the cause of the problem? You can learn to fix this also.
The Connection Timeout error on Google Chrome can be so frustrating. How can you fix it? We have discussed five methods that can effectively address the problem. It is our hope that this article has been helpful. If anything is unclear, feel free to inquire and we will wholeheartedly get back to you. Thank you.